JENOPTIK Polymer Systems, Inc.
In 2005, JENOPTIK Polymer Systems, Inc. was established in Rochester, NY to represent the global capabilities of JENOPTIK Polymer Systems in North America.
In 2009, along with the other US based optic manufacturing subsidaries, the Rochester group was folded into JENOPTIK Optical Systems, Inc. The new company has over over 125 employees in 4 locations.
Facts about JENOPTIK’s global polymer optics capabilities:
- The only plastic optics manufacturer in Europe that has the ISO9001/TS 16949 Certification meeting quality system standards for the automotive industry which ensures alignment of the business structures that utilize the “project management system” approach.
- Have delivered 100 million blood sugar measurement device to the market since 1995.
- Our manufacturing processes conform to FDA regulations, and we are DIN ISO 13485 and TS 16949 certified.
JENOPTIK looks back on a successful history of delivering polymer optics of over 50 years.
This history combines long-standing experience and innovative developments in the field of plolymer optics. With over 200 employees worldwide, we will continue to innovate in providing solutions for customers globally.
Foundation of the company as Wahl Kunststoffoptik by Friedrich A. Wahl in Munich, Germany
Fusion with the plastic optics branch of the former combine “Carl Zeiss Jena” in Neustadt/Orla
Established in-house tool making capability and set up of ultra precision technology (1998)
Established system assembly
Acquired by Jenoptik AG
Set up of assembly and packaging technology – complete process chain under a single roof
Moved to the biggest and latest European fabrication building of optical components and systems in the industrial area of North Triptis
Renamed to JENOPTIK Polymer Systems GmbH
For almost five decades, thermoplastics have proven to be highly successful in the production of optical components.
In 1957, the founder of our company, Friedrich A. Wahl, already played a decisive role in the development of plastic lenses.
The major breakthrough then came in 1959 with the launching of the first high quality thermoplastic camera lens using the injection molding method.
In 1988 Gabriele Wahl-Multerer took over the family owned company located near Munich and began the process of driving the company forward. The more traditional part of the plastics business, standard microscopes and reading lenses, was hived off. This enabled the company Wahl to then concentrate on its second pillar – the development and manufacture of technical optics.
The company relocated to Thuringia in 1991. The technology, machines and 22 former Zeiss employees were already in situ. Gabriele Wahl-Multerer added drive, boldness and her regular customer base. Since 1991 Wahl optoparts has grown rapidly. The relocation from Neustadt/Orla to the commercial district of Triptis in 1995 and consequently the expansion of production was a key milestone in the company’s history.
Jenoptik Group took over the company in December 2003. Gabriele Wahl-Multerer was appointed Managing Director and became a Jenoptik shareholder.
In January 2006 she relinquished the control of the company – now JENOPTIK Polymer Systems GmbH – and was appointed member of the Supervisory Board of JENOPTIK AG in June 2006.